Sharon Osbourne attends the first day of auditions for “The X Factor” on June 20, 2017 in Liverpool, England. (Photo: Anthony Devlin/Getty Images)
Sharon Osbourne says ageism was behind her “X Factor” departure back in September.
During Thursday’s episode of “The Talk,” the co-host for the CBS daytime show said she had the opportunity to be a judge on Fox’s hit “The Masked Singer” but had to turn it down because she was under contract for another series.
While Osbourne, 66, did not specifically name the U.K.’s “The X Factor,” she made it obvious that she was discussing the program she first appeared on in 2004.
“I was signed on to do another show at the time. I was signed, and I had to go to England, and then Simon Cowell changed his mind and thought I was too old,” she said.
Cowell is a judge on the series, which he also created.
According to Osbourne, Cowell said: “She’s old. We need somebody young.”
Actress Ayda Field, 39, judged Season 15, which premiered in September, along with her husband Robbie Williams, 45, Louis Tomlinson, 27, and Cowell, 59.
Osbourne had advice for Cowell on Thursday, which likely won’t sit well with him: “If you want young, fire yourself.”
Rubbing her chest, she added: “And, get rid of those man (breasts), and you’ll be fine.”
USA TODAY has reached out to reps for Cowell and Thames, the producer of the series, for comment.
Osbourne’s new remarks are very different from the statement shared in September to her official Facebook page about her departure, in which she called Cowell “gracious.”
“After watching the new season #XFactor unfold, I’ve seen the new judges finding their rhythm and are doing brilliantly,” Osbourne stated. “Simon was so gracious to find me a spot on the live shows but at this point I really don’t think I’m needed and I would honestly feel odd coming in at this point. So I have decided to pass on the series this year.
“I wish the show continued success and as much as I love to get my face on TV you will have to do without me this season,” she added.
Earlier in September, Osbourne reportedly bashed the show’s contestants in an interview with Howard Stern.
When asked about being present for live shows but not auditions, Osbourne replied: “I don’t have to have those kids singing in my face,” according to reports from People magazine and AOL. “It’s like, is this (expletive) karaoke or what?”
Osbourne explained her honesty was motivated by “the end” of her contract, according to People and HuffPost UK. “It’s no-holds barred,” she reportedly said.
More: Bernie Torme, former Ozzy Osbourne guitarist, dead at 66
More: The 5 craziest, most rock ‘n’ roll moments in Netflix’s Motley Crue biopic ‘The Dirt’
Read or Share this story: https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2019/03/29/sharon-osbourne-x-factor-simon-cowell-said-too-old-masked-singer/3308612002/